Most gardeners have a lot of plants in their houses too. I have a bunch of indoor plants and I bring in many outdoor plants into the house for the winter as well.
My older dog, Belle, has never chewed on plants, so I have not worried about placing them out of reach. I can my indoor plants on the floor, on a table, whatever, and she leaves them alone.
A few years ago, I adopted Charlie, a mixed breed dog that is a little taller than Belle. I soon discovered that he will sometimes chew on the plants in my house.
Thank goodness he taste-tested a papyrus plant first – it is not toxic to dogs. But this was a good warning that I now had to keep my plants well out of reach of the dogs.
In light of this, I started to look into the types of house plants that are toxic to dogs. I started to hear stories from friends about their dogs getting sick and sometimes even dying after eating certain plants.
Every gardener needs to know which common house plants are poisonous to dogs.
If your dog has eaten any of these plants, call your veterinarian IMMEDIATELY.
Common Indoor Plants Poisonous to Dogs
Sago palm (Cycas revoluta)
This is probably the one plant I will never have in my home. One of my friend’s small dog of one of at a leaf of a sago palm and died.
Sago palm is very toxic to dogs. Symptoms include vomiting, dark stools, liver failure, liver damage, diarrhea with blood, excessive drinking, jaundice – and even death.
Aloe (Aloe spp.)
Aloes comes in many shapes and sizes and are very common houseplants. These include Aloe vera, Aloe barbadensis, and others.
Aloe plants are poisonous to dogs. Symptoms include vomiting, lethargy, and diarrhea.
Dumb Cane (Dieffenbachia spp.)
Dumb cane is an easy to grow house plant that I have seen in many gardening and home improvement centers.
Dumb cane is toxic to dogs. Symptoms include pain and irritation/swelling of the mouth and tongue, lots of drooling, vomiting, and trouble swallowing.
Mother-in-law’s tongue or Snake Plant (Dracaena trifasciata formerly Sansevieria trifasciata)
Snake plant is a very common houseplant since it can be grown in low light conditions. However, if your dog ingests it, the dog may experience vomiting, diarrhea, and nausea.
Devil’s Ivy (Epipremnum aureum)
This toxic house plant is also known as pothos, golden pothos, or ivy arum. One of the best things about this house plant is that it grows quickly and tolerates low light conditions.
However, golden pothos is toxic to dogs. Symptoms of poisonoing include irritation and pain of the mouth and tongue, lots of drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing.
This plant is kept on top of my kitchen cabinets – way out of the reach of my dogs.
Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum spp.)
Commonly found in garden centers or local home improvement stores as a house plant, peace lilies are also toxic to dogs.
Symptoms include mouth irritation, lots of drooling, and trouble with swallowing.
Poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima)
Once Christmas time comes around, you’ll see poinsettias all over the place. They are a common indoor plant in the winter used for holiday decoration.
Poinsettias are poisonous to dogs and symptoms include mouth irritation, stomach pains, and even vomiting.
Elephant Ears (Alocasia spp)
There are many elephant ears in the genus Alocasia that are grown as house plants. This one is called Mayan Mask.
If a dog eats this plant, it can cause symptoms including mouth or tongue pain and swelling, excessive drooling, vomiting, irritated mouth, and difficulty swallowing.
Corn Plant (Dracaena fragrans)
Corn plant is also known as dragon tree, ribbon plant, and dracaena. It is poisonous to dogs.
Symptoms of poisoning to dogs include vomiting, excessive saliva production, depression, and loss of appetite.
Kalanchoe (Kalanchoe spp.)
Another common florist plant, kalanchoe plants might be given as gifts, but they are poisonous to your dog. The flowers of this indoor plant can be pink, red, yellow, white, and other colors.
If you dog eats this plant, symptoms of poisoning may include vomiting, diarrhea, and maybe even an arrhythmia.
Cyclamen (Cyclamen spp.)
Cyclamen plants are a popular Valentine’s Day gift sold in garden centers and local stores. Unfortunately, if your dog eats a cyclamen, they will get sick.
Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive salivation. If your dog eats several of the tubers it can lead to seizures and death.
Heartleaf Philodendron (Philodendron oxycardium)
Another very common house plant is the philodendron. This indoor plant (photo adjacent) is also known as the fiddle-leaf philodendron and a few other common names.
Heartleaf philodendron is toxic to dogs and causes symptoms such as pain, swelling and irritation of the mouth and tongue, excessive drooling, vomiting, and problems swallowing.
Mums and Chrysanthemums (Chrysanthemum spp.)
In the fall we start to see mums being sold in garden centers and florist shops. Some of you might keep mums as house plants throughout the year.
Mums are poisonous to dogs if ingested. Symptoms include excessive salivation, skin irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, and a lack of coordination.
Calla Lily (Zantedeschia aethiopica)
Calla lilies come in all sorts of colors – pink, yellow, and white are common. They are very ornamental and sold in florist shops too. So, you might have one growing in your house.
Keep this toxic plant away from your dog. If a dog eats a calla lily, they can be poisoned with symptoms that include pain and irritation of the mouth and tongue, excessive drooling, trouble swallowing, and vomiting.
English ivy (Hedera helix)
Ivy is an easy to grow houseplant and it spreads rapidly. There are some variegated varieties that are a bit smaller and used indoors.
Symptoms include vomiting, pain in the abdomen, excessive saliva production, and diarrhea.
Begonia (Begonia spp.)
There are a lot of vareities of begonias that are grown as houseplants – Rex begonia, angel wing begonia, wax begonia, and so many more!
However, begonias are poisonous to dogs. Symptoms include vomiting and producing lots of saliva.
Arrowhead Vine (Syngonium podophyllum)
Also known as the goosefoot plant, arrowhead vines are a very common house plant, and as such, must be kept away from your dogs.
If your dog eats an arrowhead vine plant, symptoms of poisoning include swelling of the tongue and mouth, problems swallowing, vomiting, and lots of drooling.
Amaryllis (Amaryllis spp.)
Amaryllis flower bulbs are often sold in the winter to be grown indoors. Other common names for this plant are naked ladies and belladonna lily.
Amaryllis bulbs are toxic to dogs. Symptoms of poisoning include lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, pain in the abdomen, excessive salivation, depression, and tremors.
Jade Plant (Crassula argentea)
Jade plants are really cool looking plants and do well indoors, but they are toxic to dogs.
Symptoms of poisoning in dogs include vomiting, depression, and a lack of coordination.
Tulips (Tulipa spp.)
You might buy some tulip flowers from your local grocery store or florist in the winter to bring a little color into your house, but this flowering house plant is toxic to your dog.
If your dog ingests the plant or bulb (the bulb is highest in toxicity), he/she might exhibit the following symptoms: vomiting, depression, diarrhea, or excessive salivation.
Complete List of Plants Toxic to Dogs
This is not a complete list of all plants that are toxic to dogs or can make your dog sick, for a full list of all plants that are toxic to dogs – visit the ASPCA website.