Orchids are amazing! They have so many shapes, sizes, and colors of flowers and can be found all over the world. Here are some fun facts about orchids.
- Many of the showiest orchids are epiphytic, meaning they attach themselves to other woody plants with their roots and get their nutrients and water from the air and rain.
- The smallest orchid is about the size of a dime.
- Some orchids are parasitic and derive their nutrients from host fungi.
- Some orchids are terrestrial and can be found in forests all over the world.
- They are the source of vanilla.
- Orchids come in a wide array of vivid colors
- Orchids sometimes resemble insects or animals (check out some of the photos below).
- There are over 25,000 documented species of orchids
- Orchids can be found on every continent except Antarctica.
- The flowers of some orchids can last as long as 6 months! My Phalaenopsis bloomed for 3 months last year.
In addition to all of these interesting traits about orchids, they often have stunning flowers! The orchid rooms in botanical gardens are my favorite places to go. I discover a new orchid every time.
Did you know that orchids make great houseplants? Their amazing flowers will stay blooming for weeks at a time.